About Me

Building an extension for my mother-in-law

I love my mother-in-law but I never planned on living with her permanently. I have been enjoying her living with us now that we have kids but I feel like we all need some extra space so I am getting a granny flat built at the back of our block. This should allow us to have some extra space to make sure everyone has the privacy that they need whilst we can still be a family. This block has some tip on the process of building a granny flat including how to choose a contractor and how to get the council approval for the build.


Latest Posts


Building an extension for my mother-in-law

Types of Certifiers and What You Need to Know about Them

by Chloe Cooper

If you are moving into the real estate world as a freelance contractor who buys homes and flips them for profit, then you may already know about certifiers. You know they are required throughout the process. What you may not know is there are several types of certifiers. Before you jump in feet first to the world of house flipping and construction, you should know the types of certifiers out there and some information regarding each one.

A Certifiers

A certifiers are broken down into several categories. A1 are the certifiers you will likely see most often since they certify all buildings regardless of structure type or location. You will run into A2 type certifiers if your building falls into a class ranking of 1 to 10. In some cases, if your building falls under the deemed-to-satisfy category, you will have a certifier from the A3 category arrive. There are times when all three certifiers are necessary. This is determined by regulations set by the Building Code of Australia and the A1 certifier during the first certification visit. There are also A4 and A5 certifiers. A4 categorizes building inspectors while the A5 type categorizes a port development certifier.

E Certifiers

There is only one case where you will see a type E Certifier during the real estate construction and building process. This specific certifier handles swimming pool certifications. They inspect swimming pools to ensure they meet the Swimming Pools Act of 1992 along with Australia building code guidelines. Keep in mind, an E Certifier can not approve or access any type of plans for the swimming pool. The pool is expected to be built per the pre-recorded Australian standards and will either be certified or not following the completion of the swimming pool renovation or build.

B, C, and D Certifiers

B, C, and D Certifiers deal with subdivision construction as well as road construction. This will come into play if you are flipping several homes in a subdivision, adding new homes to a subdivision, or dealing with road reconstruction. These types primarily deal with real estate construction and developments that are new or are hired to rebuild or continue development. If you are handling one home at a time, you will likely not deal with this category.

By knowing the categories or types of certifiers, you will know which ones you may need to contact during your construction and real estate flipping process. Having this knowledge may also help you figure out what to expect for each property you consider taking on before you start the project.