About Me

Building an extension for my mother-in-law

I love my mother-in-law but I never planned on living with her permanently. I have been enjoying her living with us now that we have kids but I feel like we all need some extra space so I am getting a granny flat built at the back of our block. This should allow us to have some extra space to make sure everyone has the privacy that they need whilst we can still be a family. This block has some tip on the process of building a granny flat including how to choose a contractor and how to get the council approval for the build.


Latest Posts


Building an extension for my mother-in-law

Restore your house to its former glory

by Chloe Cooper

If your house has been burnt by fire, there's likely lots of damage to deal with. When the fire brigade has gone, there is soot, the smell of smoke and the damaged stuff. However, once the house has been declared safe by the fire brigade, you can act with speed to salvage some of your property.

The best way to start is to call a company that specializes in fire damage restoration. While you wait for the company to send its experts you can:

  1. Open the windows to increase air circulation and get rid of the smoke in the house so that it will be easier for you to carry out other subsequent tasks.
  2. Take stock of the damage, and if you can take photos, it will help. Your insurance might ask for this information.

The fire damage experts will do the more challenging work. Once they arrive on the scene, they will start with a comprehensive inspection, where they will assess the amount of damage the fire, smoke and water or extinguisher have caused in every part of your house. They will then proceed to deal with:

The structure of the house

The fire damage to the roof will be of immediate concern, and the restoration will begin with putting up a roof tarp if one is needed. If there is damage to the doors and windows, they will be boarded up temporarily until you can do a renovation or get new ones installed.

Extinguishing agent

Whether foam, water or even powder was used to extinguish the fire, it will remain in parts of your house. Water creates a greater mess, and it is the most common way of putting out residential fires. Items like your furniture, bedding, and carpets are likely to be wet. There are special tools like dryers and dehumidifiers that the restoration professionals will employ to dry your house and minimize the damage that water will cause.


When smoke comes into contact with surfaces, it forms soot. It can be on the walls, ceiling and other surfaces that were exposed to smoke. Removing the soot will help to restore the look of the house and get rid of the smell of smoke.


When the effects of the fire and water have been dealt with, there is the final phase of making the house livable for you. The restoration professionals will remove the smell of smoke using deodorants. Finally, the restoration professionals check the wiring and repaint the walls so that you can continue enjoying the comforts of your house.