About Me

Building an extension for my mother-in-law

I love my mother-in-law but I never planned on living with her permanently. I have been enjoying her living with us now that we have kids but I feel like we all need some extra space so I am getting a granny flat built at the back of our block. This should allow us to have some extra space to make sure everyone has the privacy that they need whilst we can still be a family. This block has some tip on the process of building a granny flat including how to choose a contractor and how to get the council approval for the build.


Latest Posts


Building an extension for my mother-in-law

Are you considering any structural engineering work?

by Chloe Cooper

When you own or manage a building then calling a structural engineer isn't something that you will need to do very often, but when you notice a problem with your property, or when you are considering any type of structural engineering, it is important that you have someone to advise you on the structural implications for your building. Structural engineering covers a range of building-related topics, and anything that deals with the structural integrity of the building could be considered the responsibility of a structural engineer. They will look at the effect of outside pressures such as wind, air pressure and gravity and how they might impact a proposed design. They can also examine damage caused to a structure and determine the severity of the damage and what could be done to stabilise the structure. Here are two reasons that you might want to engage the services of a structural engineer:

Building a new structure or adding an extension

If you are building a new custom-designed home then that certainly qualifies as structural engineering and you will need an engineer to examine your plans and ensure that they are sound. The engineer will probably want to examine the proposed building site to ensure that it is suitable for the intended use. They will want to be sure that the design will integrate with existing site features and that any impact on the environment is dealt with appropriately. With a new build the structural implications are obvious, but what you may not realise is that adding an extension to an existing property is also considered structural engineering. Any new addition, whether it is a single room or a multi-storey structure, will need to be built without compromising the structural integrity of the existing building. In the event that you are building on an existing foundation, you will need to be certain that the foundation has received adequate reinforcement.

Adding solar panels or similar features

Not everyone realises that wind turbines, solar panels and similar structures are really structural engineering. Before you start work it is vital that the proposed design is checked by a structural engineer. They will be able to review the intended layout and ensure that your roof is able to withstand the weight of the panels and the additional weight caused by installation and maintenance work. The engineer will be able to explain what type of structural work you may need to do in order to strengthen your roof or other parts of the building so that it can safely support your proposed additions.